Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fox News Demographic: Some Diseased, Crazy, Old Prostitute.

Alright, to be fair - a prostitute may not be Fox's overall target demographic; however, "some diseased, crazy, old prostitute, who lives in tenement housing with 10 Hell’s Angels, who pass her around like an hors d'oeuvre tray," is the March 26, 2008 host-stated demographic of Fox's attempt at politically incorrect, late-night programming: "Red Eye."

In response to viewer mail, tonight, the host, Greg Gutfeld, blathered,

"Joe, you asked who the other 11 viewers are who watch the show, and that’s an excellent question. I actually did some research --- turns out it’s some diseased, crazy, old prostitute, who lives in tenement housing with 10 Hell’s Angels, who pass her around like an hors doeuvre tray. Anyway, Mother’s Day is only a few months away, so send her a card.”

This was moments before telling another, seemingly unhappy, viewer that three people from the show were planning to visit the viewer’s state and “…bang [his] wife.”




Posted at: http://www.youtube.com/MoJoy08

If you look for Red Eye clips on YouTube (the demographic of which Fox is apparently trying to befriend), you'll find middle-America-friendly titles like, "...'Ma and Pa Reacha*,'""...Dirty Introductions,""... 'But* Burglary,'""... 'I'd kill a b*!'" and so on...

Surely a News network like Fox must be familiar with phrases like, "alienating your base," right? Or, perhaps this one sick show is their attempt to become "fair and balanced" --- not politically balanced, to be sure...religiously balanced.

Cater to the religious right on one hand - totally offend them, mindlessly, on the other? Why isn't it the new great thing (the host seems to think he is...)?

I'm just thinking that the majority of Fox viewers – like my parents – are, maybe, unaware that Fox is no more adverse to pandering to the lowest common denominator than Eliot Spitzer is to prostitution...with about as much integrity.

It's not that Fox viewers aren't accustomed to being misled by now...I mean: they watch Fox (complete with the "No Spin Zone") need I say more? It's just that they usually do a better job of pretending.

Personally, I'm more offended by the network than the show. The show is just crass, and without much real value.

While the host and guests make the occasionally interesting, news-related observation, it's just not the Republican version of Politically Incorrect (or Real Time w/ Bill Maher) to which it seems to aspire. It is certainly as politically incorrect, but no where near as funny, or intelligent.

The bottom line: If I want my news delivered with (bad) prostitute jokes and orgasm puns, I'll tune in to Real Time (better jokes), or Saturday Night Live (far better jokes). If I want to be offended by someone conservative, Anne Coulter has books, and a website; and, well, she speaks ... a lot (and - if you're not all that easily offended, it is far easier to see her intellect).

Red Eye is just not interesting enough to make it worth the 12 year-old, self-aggrandizing, bawdy humor ... and the man behind the curtain at Fox might want to start to "[Not] Spin" his way out of this.



No comments: